Sunday, September 18, 2011

On the Explorations! 1589-1595


This is a painting of the Essex.


It's 1588, and I am in Ireland with Sir Richard Grenville, because I had received a challenge from the Essex, that never led to an encounter with them. The Essex was an American ship that came from Nantucket, Massachusetts. In 1589, I was, again, in Ireland. I had already made a friend, Edmund Spenser, and I visit him at his house in Kilcolman. Also in 1589, I accompanied his expedition to Portugal, which was intended to cause a revolt against King Philip the II, but failed. In 1591, I was forbidden to go on the voyage to the Azores, and I was replaced with Sir Richard Grenville. Grenville was killed in action with the Spaniards, and his death was one of the subject of my most vigorous pieces of writing. In 1592, I was again at sea to intercept the Spanish trade, but the Queen called me back. This was because I had seduced one of her maids of honor, Elizabeth Throgmorton. When I returned, I was put in the Tower of London, and if he was not already married, he was married there. I made a good husband and my wife was devoted to me. Together, we had three sons and a daughter. Carew, Walter, Damerei, and Elizabeth. Although, Elizabeth was stillborn, or died in infancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment