Sunday, September 18, 2011

1616-1617

In 1616, I was again confined to the Tower of London. Being confined wasn't hard for me, because I could write more. I was confined there for a year, until the King told me that if I was guilty of piracy, that when I came back from my exploration, I would be killed. The expedition, which spent all of his money, reached the Orinico on the last day of 1617, meaning it took them nine months to get there. I was ill, so I stayed back, but I sent five vessels up the Orinoco under his most trusted captain, Lawrence Keymis. The expedition found a small Spanish settlement on the way to the supposed mine and a fight occured. This fight killed one of my sons and several Spaniards. After some days of fighting with the Spaniards, Keymis returned with news of my son's death. Stung by my reapproach, Keymis killed himself. Then, after hesitating and mutiny, our expedition returned home.

This is a map of my voyages.

No comments:

Post a Comment