Sunday, September 18, 2011

Let's go! April1584-1585


'Ello Mate! Above is an informational video of my life, so I hope you like it! :)

Gilbert and I are ready to go! Together, we managed to bring abroad our ship a few others. Around one hundred-ish. We finally got the patent to sail to America and settle there.

I sent out two captains, Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe, on a voyage of exploration. They sailed by the Canaries to Florida, and from there followed the coast of North America as far as the inlet between Albemarle and Pamlico sounds in the modern state of North Carolina. The name of Virginia was given to a vast and undefined territory, but none of Raleigh's captains or settlers reached the state of Virginia.

In that same year, I became a member of Parliament in Devonshire, the same place I was born. My first body of settlers were sent out in 1585 under Sir Richard Grenville, who is related to me, landed on what is now Roanoke Island, North Carolina.The settlers had gotten on bad terms with the natives, and deserted the colony when Grenville visited the coast in 1586.

No comments:

Post a Comment